Curried Quinoa Salad
Need a tasty dish for a potluck? Food blogger Marc Matsumoto explains why this vibrant dish always does the trick!
Yield: 2 meal sized servings or 8-12 party sized servings
- 170 grams red quinoa (~1 cup)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 25 grams flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 50 grams dried cranberries (~1/4 cup), roughly chopped
- 45 grams toasted pine nuts (~1/4 cup)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a wire strainer using your hand to agitate the quinoa to release all the saponin on the surface. Drain the quinoa well and transfer it to a pot.
- Add the water and bring the pot to a boil. Turn down the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes or until there’s no water left in the pan and the quinoa is tender.
- Meanwhile, add the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and black pepper to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the quinoa is cooked, transfer it to a bowl and add the yogurt dressing while the quinoa is still hot. Stir until all the dressing is absorbed and let the salad cool.
- When the quinoa has cooled to room temperature, add the parsley, cranberries, pine nuts and scallions. Stir to combine and serve, or cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.