Daisee (Bhutanese Sweet Yellow Rice)
Lidia Bastianich learns about the recipes immigrants bring with them to the United States when she visits a swearing-in ceremony at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, in Lidia Celebrates America: Freedom & Independence on PBS.
- 2 cups white rice
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- A few pieces of clove
- Butter to taste
- Bring water to a boil and add rice.
- Add turmeric powder and cloves, stirring occasionally.
- Check for doneness of rice by taking a grain in between your fingers and squeezing it—if the surface of the grain of rice is soft and peels off, drain the water.
- Add sugar and butter on top.
- Cover and cook in low heat for about 10 minutes.
Tips/TechniquesThis recipe is provided by Kezang Namgyal.