Devil’s Food Cake
Recipe by Shuna Fish Lydon
- 1 cups Sugar
- 12 tablespoons Cocoa
- 3/4 cup Cake flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 each Egg
- 2 each Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Hot Coffee
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cubed
- Splash Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350F Place oven rack in middle of oven.
- Butter and flour 9" round cake pan or individual ramekins. If you have parchment paper, cut out a circle and place on bottom of buttered pan. Butter and flour over parchment, if using.
- In one big bowl sift cocoa, sugar, cake flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add salt to this, whisk to achieve a uniform mixture, and create a "well" in center.
- Brew coffee, measure and drop cubed butter in hot liquid, whisk to melt and combine. (Do not let mixture cool too much.)
- Pour cracked egg and yolks into well, whisk briefly. Pour in coffee-melted butter mixture, whisk briefly, pour in buttermilk and then whisk thoroughly to incorporate all dries. Attempt to eliminate any lumps. Add splash of vanilla extract.
- Batter will be very loose, pourable.
- Pour batter into prepared baking vessel(s) and set on a baking pan. (This insures heat will be better distributed than if you just put the cake pan directly on the rack of the oven.) Set first timer for 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, turn pan around, and set timer for another 10-15 minutes. (If you choose not to turn pan around it will most probably rise lopsided.) **Cake is done when skewer or sharp knife inserted in middle comes out clean and/or when sides pull away from pan and middle bounces back to the touch.
- Cool cake pan on cooling rack until room temperature. Turn cake out to cool more or serve.