Dried Stone Fruit Pie with Pecan Oat Streusel
Make this dried stone fruite pie recipe with a combination of fresh apricots, dried apricots, and dried bing cherries in this crumble-like pie from n a Jenna Weber who shares why she loves this recipe in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots (6 oz)
- 1 cup chopped fresh apricots (5 oz)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup cold water
- For streusel topping
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup roasted, salted pecan halves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small chunks
- Additional Ingredients
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- 1 prepared pie shell (unbaked)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prick your pie crust all over the bottom with a fork. Set aside.
- Combine the dried apricots and dried cherries in a medium sized saucepot with 1 ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Then, add the fresh apricot, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Bring the mixture back up to a simmer and slowly drizzle in the cornstarch and cold water mixture. Continue to simmer until very, very thick---about 10 minutes.
- Remove fruit from the stove and let cool slightly while you prepare the streusel topping.
- Roughly chop the pecan halves. Place in a large bowl with the oats and brown sugar. Work in the butter using your fingertips until mixture is only slightly clumpy.
- Place pie crust on a baking sheet then pour fruit into prepared pie crust. Top generously with streusel.
- Place pie in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until both streusel and crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for 45 minutes then serve with vanilla ice cream.