- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 6 colored eggs uncooked
- Egg wash (one egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- Heat the milk in the microwave until it bubbles. Stir in the sugar, butter and anise and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add one teaspoon of sugar. Allow to proof for 5 minutes. Stir the salt into 4 cups of the flour.
- Add the milk and yeast mixtures and stir to forma batter. Add the two eggs and continue to stir. Gradually add enough flour to make a dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for at least 8 minutes until very smooth. Place in a bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled in size. Turn the dough out and cut into three pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope about 1/2 inch thick. Braid the ropes and join the ends to make a round loaf.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been greased or covered with parchment paper. Separate the folds of the dough at intervals and insert the colored eggs.
- Let rise again for abut an hour. Brush carefully with the egg wash and bake at 350 degrees until deep golden brown. Transfer to a rack and cool.