Easy Strawberry Shortcake
An easy strawberry shortcake recipe that also uses pudding, chocolate and whipped cream. You can watch Sue prepare the dish in this clip from Lakeland Cooks!
- 1 (10.75-ounce) frozen pound cake
- 1 box instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 quart strawberries, rinsed, stems removed, quartered
- 1 quart strawberries, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Whipped cream for garnish
- While pound cake is still a little frozen, slice to make three layers. An electric knife works well for this.
- Place quartered strawberries in glass bowl.
- Sprinkle with vinegar and sugar and gently toss with spoon. Set aside and allow to macerate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Make chocolate sauce by heating whipping cream in small, heavy saucepan. Do not let it come to a boil.
- When whipping cream is hot, remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Allow to sit for a few minutes so the chocolate begins to melt, then stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Make white chocolate pudding, using one and one-half cups milk. Refrigerate until ready to assemble shortcake dessert.
- Set aside several strawberries from 1 quart to use as garnish.
- Slice the rest of the strawberries in half. Set aside.
- Place a pool of chocolate sauce on platter.
- Put bottom layer of cake on top of sauce.
- Spread thick layer of pudding over cake.
- Top with layer of halved strawberries.
- Next comes the second layer of cake, pudding, halved strawberries. Place top layer on with brown side down.
- Spoon macerated strawberries over cake, drizzle with chocolate sauce. Garnish with whipped cream and whole strawberries.
- Serve extra macerated berries and chocolate sauce on the side.
Tips/TechniquesMacerate means to soak foods in liquid to absorb flavor of the liquid and to intensify the natural flavor of the food. Fresh fruit and berries may be macerated in wine, liqueur, brandy or sugar syrup. Use your own homemade pound cake for a special treat.