- 2-3 large eggplants
- 1 medium-size onion chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons canola (or olive) oil
- 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
- Slivers of roasted red pepper and Greek olives for decoration
- Prick the eggplant with a fork. Roast on the grill or broil in the oven until the skin looks charred (about 45 minutes to an hour). Remove from grill/oven, cool off. Peel off the blackened skin, and let the eggplant sit in a non-metal sieve for at least half an hour to drain.
- Method 1: Put the eggplant through the food processor with a plastic blade, running it intermittently no longer than a minute.
- Method 2: "Chop" the cooked eggplant with a wooden spoon until it no longer looks/feels stringy.
- In a small bowl, place the eggplant; start adding the olive oil slowly while mixing continuously. Add the chopped onion once all the oil is incorporated in the eggplant mixture. Add the mayonnaise, if desired. Salt to taste. Level it off with the wooden spoon or a spatula; decorate with slivers of roasted red peppers and olives. Serve on French bread (or any other kind of hard-crust bread).
Tips/TechniquesPartial preparation: the eggplant may be roasted/broiled a day in advance, peeled and let sit in the sieve to drain in the refrigerator overnight.