Eggplant Parmesan Grilled Cheese
A play on eggplant parmesan, this grilled cheese makes packing a hot lunch easy. Enjoy eggplants while they're in season! (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 large eggplant, trimmed and sliced
- Salt, divided
- 1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large egg
- Grilled Cheese:
- Bread of choice
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Fresh basil leaves
- To Make the Eggplant: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Get a baking sheet ready. Brush the baking sheet with the oil.
- Lay the slices of eggplant on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand for about 5 to 10 minutes. They will leech a small amount of water.
- Meanwhile, add the breadcrumbs to a medium bowl, along with 1/2 teaspoon salt, parmesan, oregano and crushed red pepper. Toss with your fingers until combined.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk until beaten. Dip the slices of eggplant into the egg and then immediately transfer to the bread crumbs. Toss until evenly coated. Transfer to the baking sheet and repeat until you’ve worked your way through the eggplant. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping the eggplant at the 10 minute mark, until golden brown.
- To Make the Grilled Cheese: Add a liberal handful of cheese to the bread slices. Top with two to three slices of eggplant, a tablespoon of marinara and a few basil leaves. Cook in a buttered pan, set over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes and then flip on the opposite side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.