Eggplants Cooked Like Mushrooms
- 3 3.5 pound eggplants
- kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes peeled and chopped, or one 141/2 ounce can good diced tomatoes
- 6-8 kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 4 teaspoons capers
- 2-3 sprigs each flat Italian parsley and basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Trim and peel the eggplants; slice thinly and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and leave in a colander to drain off their bitter liquid. Wipe dry.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or wok, add the eggplants and saute over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and capers.
- Lower the heat and continue cooking for about 15 minutes or until the eggplants are soft.
- Add the herbs and garlic, taste for salt and pepper and stir gently.
- May be served along or as a topping for penne rigate, topped with freshly grated Parmesan.