Eggs in Purgatory
Eggs in purgatory is an endearing name for a simple dish of eggs with tomato sauce; I think you get the connotation. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Eggs in Purgatory at CiaoItalia.com!
- 4 jumbo eggs
- 8 large plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly toasted crusty bread
- Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof skillet,and simmer the chopped tomatoes for about 20 minutes over a gentle flame with the garlic, salt, and pepper.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, preheat your oven to 360°F. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 shallow depressions in the tomatoes, and carefully crack the eggs into them.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven, and cook just until the egg whites have set, about 3-5 minutes. The yolks should still be runny. Serve at once, with lightly toasted bread.