This enfrijoladas recipe is featured in the Chicago episode of No Passport Required with Marcus Samuelsson, which highlights Chicago’s Mexican community to explore its heritage and cuisine.
- 4 Corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp black bean purée
- 4 tbsp ground pork season with cumin
- 1tbsp red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 tbsp fresh cheese (like cotija or queso fresco)
- 1 poached egg
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp mole verde
- In a deep saucepan, heat oil to 370 degrees.
- Quickly flash-fry tortillas in deep fryer, just enough to make then soft and pliable, not crispy.
- Once cool enough to touch, fold the tortillas into quarters and arrange on plate.
- Drizzle black bean purée and cooked ground pork over tortillas.
- Add cheese, onion and egg .
- Finish with mole verde.