- 2 lbs. dried salted boneless salt cod (bacalao see below)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 scallions white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the bacalao in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water three times to remove the majority of the salt. Drain and rinse under cold water and put it in a large pot.
- Add the milk and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 45 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, shred the fish into a bowl; take care to get out all the little bones. Add the onion, scallions, cilantro, avocado, and tomatoes.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the dressing to the salad, toss, and serve.
This segment appears in show #2903.
Recipe reprinted from La Comida del Barrio: Latin-American Cooking in the U.S.A., Clarkson Potter, 2003.© 2003 Aaron Sanchez