Falagone (Potato Pie)
- 3/4 cups Crisco
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cold water
- 4 cups sliced red potatoes
- 3/4 cups finely sliced green pepper
- 3/4 cups finely sliced onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TBS vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup locatelli cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup diced veal (optional)
- Place Crisco, flour and salt in a food processor and blend until mixture is like course meal. Add enough water to make a pliable dough; set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Roll out half of dough and place in a 10" pie pan. Add filling and cover with rest of rolled-out dough. Make slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes. Test pie by inserting paring knife in the center. If potatoes are soft, the pie is done. Start testing when pie has been baking for 35-40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.