Farm Egg with Coriander
Try Chef David Kinch's take on Alain Passard's famous dish, the hot-cold egg.
- For the Meyer Lemon Crème Fraiche:
- 3 Meyer lemon zest, no white pith at all
- Juice from meyer lemons
- Lemon vinegar
- 1pt Crème Fraiche
- For the Meyer Lemon Cream:
- One part heavy whipping cream
- One part meyer lemon crème fraiche
- For the Eggs:
- 4 Fresh farm eggs
- Sea salt
- Chives, freshly cut
- To Finish:
- Coriander honey
- Coriander flowers
- For the meyer lemon crème fraiche: boil and drain the lemon zest three times in water. After the third boil is completed, combine the zest and the juice in a pot. Reduce until au sec. Add the lemon vinegar enough to barely cover, and reduce to au sec once more. Chill over an ice bath. Once chilled, blend the lemon mixture with the crème fraiche in a blender until smooth. Pass through a fine strainer.
- For the meyer lemon cream: combine all ingredients in a stainless steel mixing bowl set over ice. Whip gently with a whisk to soft peaks. Reserve in a piping bag.
- For the eggs: use an egg topper to cut open the eggs. Gently pour out the egg white and yolk, being careful not to break the yolk. Submerge the shell in warm water. Use your finger, and tweezers, to clean out the inside of the shell. Once clean, drain the egg shells and place on a cloth to dry for a few minutes. Using your fingers, carefully separate the yolk from the white. Gently place the yolk back into the shell. Season with salt. Add the chopped chives. Place the egg shell in a water bath that is at 185F for 3-5 minutes, until the outer edges of the yolk are just set and the middle is still fluid. Remove from the bath and gently dry the egg shell with a cloth. Garnish immediately with meyer lemon cream.