Learn how to bake Norman's farthing biscuits recipe from the Biscuits episode of The Great British Baking Show.
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 85g (3 oz) lightly salted butter, plus extra to serve
- 85g (3 oz) lard
- For the biscuits, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Rub in butter and lard so that mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add just enough cold water to bring the mixture together to form a stiff dough (about 5-6 tablespoons). Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a thickness just less than a £1 coin.
- Using a 9cm (3½ in) round cutter cut out biscuits from the dough. Prick the top of the biscuits all over to decorate, leaving a plain 5mm/¼in border around the edge.
- Transfer to wire racks or baking mesh. Place the racks/mesh on baking trays and bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the biscuits are dry but not browned. Set aside to cool completely.
- Serve the biscuits with chilled butter.
Tips/TechniquesEquipment required: a 9cm (3½ in) round cutter