Bread salad made from toasted or fried pieces of Arabic flat bread combined with mixed greens and other vegetables, such as radishes and tomatoes. The recipe appears courtesy of Sameer Eid, who is featured in the Detroit episode of No Passport Required.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 30 Minutes
- For salad:
- 1 large pita bread (cut in small squares and toasted)
- 1 large tomato, diced, seeds removed
- ¼ red onion, peeled, diced
- 2 bell peppers, one red, one yellow, pith and seeds removed, cut into long strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 5 radishes diced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 to 3 teaspoons za'atar
- For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut pita into small squares and place on a sided baking sheet. Toast pita squares in the oven until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, place the tomato, red onion, peppers, cucumber and radishes . Add romaine and sprinkle with za'atar. Toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Just before service add dressing and toasted pita and toss.
Tips/TechniquesPlease note: PBS has not professionally-tested this recipe.