Fennel-Poppy Seed Breadsticks with Sea Salt
Fennel yields a subtle anise flavor to cooking and makes a great addition to sauces. Here, not only does the fennel give flavor, but, along with the poppy seeds, it gives these breadsticks a great texture. Food blogger Katie Barszcz of The Small Boston Kitchen shares this recipe in a piece about spring cleaning in your spice cabinet.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ball of pizza dough, leftover homemade or store bought pizza dough
- 2 tbs fennel seeds
- 1 tbs Poppy seeds, plus more for topping
- 2 tbs flax seeds
- sea salt for topping
- Coat a large bowl with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Allow dough to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size. Punch the dough down and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the fennel, poppy and flax seeds and toast just until they become fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Once the seeds cool, add them to the dough and gently combine.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal parts and roll out the dough into sticks.
- Place on a parchment lined pan. Bake bread for about 10 minutes, remove and brush with olive oil, sprinkle on sea salt and poppy seeds.
- Bake breadsticks until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve with dinner or have as an appetizer with olive oil for dipping.