Get the Fiddlehead Fern recipe featured in Family Ingredients on PBS.
- 1 bundle fern shoots, cut in 1 inch pieces
- ¼ lb. bacon, sliced
- 1 large tablespoon butter
- Thoroughly wash fern shoots, taking care to remove as much of the small “hairs” on the stems as possible.
- Fill a large bowl with water and ice. Set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a hefty pinch of salt and the fern shoots. Cook for 30 seconds to one minute, until the shoots are a bright, vibrant green. Strain and drop into cold ice water to stop the cooking process.
- In a medium size pan over medium high heat, melt butter and add bacon. Render down the fat of the bacon without browning the bacon too much, 3-4 minutes. Add the fern shoots and stir, coating each piece with bacon fat and butter, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.