Fig and Feta Grilled Toast
If you have a panini grill, drag it out of the cupboard for these out-of-this-world breakfast sandwiches. Great for dinner as well.
- 4 ounces mild feta cheese such as Valbreso
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 small lemon zested
- 8 large leaves fresh basil
- 8 slices artisan raisin-nut bread
- 4 tablespoons fig jam
- olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine feta, honey and lemon zest, mashing until well-blended. Roll basil leaves into a tube and slice them in thin shreds.
- Spread feta mixture on half of the bread slices. You’ll want a nice sturdy bread that can hold up to grilling. Top each with jam and sprinkle with basil. (It’s hard to find fig jam; we used fig-ginger jam for this recipe.)Top with remaining bread slices and lightly brush outside of bread with olive oil.
- Toast in panini grill until bread is browned and filling is heated through.
- To prepare on the stove, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches to pan, cooking 2 at a time. Place another heavy skillet or cast-iron pan on top of sandwiches, and press gently to flatten. Leave the skillet on top and cook sandwiches about 3 minutes. Flip and cook second side another 3 minutes, until bread is lightly toasted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.