Five Spice Chicken
This Five Spice Chicken recipe features anise, cinnamon, cloves and pepper, and requires a marinade process. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon maltose (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- .25 ounces (7 grams, 1 large clove) garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice
- 400 grams boneless skin-on chicken thighs
- Whisk together the dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, maltose, oyster sauce, garlic and five spice powder in a small bowl until well combined.
- Pour this marinade over the chicken thighs, flipping them over several times to coat evenly and marinate for at least 24 hours, or up to 48 hours.
- When you're ready to roast the chicken, prepare a baking sheet lined with a wire rack, and preheat the oven to 390 degrees F (200 C). Adding a layer of aluminum foil between the rack and baking sheet will make cleanup easier as the sugar in the marinade tends to burn to the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the rack, skin-side up. Reserve the marinade for basting.
- Roast the chicken for 6 minutes, and then brush the tops with some of the remaining marinade.
- Continue roasting for another 6-8 minutes, or until the edges are lightly charred and the chicken registers 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving on top of rice.