Fresh Coconut Cake
In Natchitoches, Louisiana, Lidia enjoys this mouth-watering coconut cake for dessert, to follow a delicious gumbo.
Lidia's special, A Heartland Holiday Feast, shows her traveling cross-country, and meeting Americans with diverse heritages and culinary traditions.
- 3 Cups of Cake Flour
- 3 tsp. Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs (Room Temperature
- 1 ½ Cups of Milk
- 1 ½ Cup of Sugar
- 1 ¼ Stick of Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Note: Butter and Eggs room temperature. Also set milk out.
- 1 fresh Coconut, grated
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ Coconut Milk or water
- Frosting Seven Minute
- 1 Egg White
- ½ tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- Sift flour and baking powder; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add flour and Baking powder mixture to creamed mixture with milk. Add Vanilla.
- Fold in three well-greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven until done.
- Combine the ingredients for the filling and cook over medium heat about ½ hour or until done.
- Combine the ingredients for the frosting, and cook in double boiler over medium heat.