Fresh Mint and Chile Sauce
by Chef Patsy Jamieson
An Indian-style herb chutney
Yield: Makes about 1/2 cup
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small serrano chile or jalapeño pepper with seeds, chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or to taste
- Place sugar and salt in a blender or mini-food processor. With the motor running, drop ginger, chile, and garlic through the feed tube and process until minced.
- Add mint and vinegar and pulse until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides of work bowl as needed.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl. Serve within 30 minutes.
Tips/TechniquesChef Patsy Jamieson notes: For a milder sauce, seed the chile before chopping it.
This segment appears in show #3012.
Recipe courtesy of Patsy Jamieson
© 2005 Patsy Jamieson