Fresh Tomato and Basil Quiche
Try this fresh tomato and basil quiche recipe from Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust completely thawed if frozen
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup plain nonfat or low fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese (or use shredded Parmesan or mozzarella)
- 2 - 3 tomatoes diced into 1/2-inch pieces, watery seeds brushed out (about 2 cups total)
- 2 Tbsp. grated or shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Press the crust into a tart or pie pan and trim the excess crust from the edges. Bake it for 10-15 minutes until it is very lightly browned. Remove it from the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, 1/4 cup of basil, salt, pepper and Swiss cheese. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Top it evenly with the tomatoes and remaining basil. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top (optional) and bake it for 40-45 minutes or until it is firm and lightly browned. Allow the quiche to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges to serve.
- You can freeze quiche for up to 2 months, if desired, wrapped tightly (allow it to cool fully before freezing it). To reheat it, put the cooked and frozen quiche in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes or until it is heated through.