This fried okra recipe is a Southern favorite from the "Vegetables" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 pound okra, trimmed and sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a shallow dish, whisk together cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne, and ground pepper; set aside. In a large shallow bowl, whisk together egg whites and 3 tablespoons cold water. Add okra, and toss to coat completely. Lift the okra from egg mixture, letting excess drain off; add to cornmeal mixture, and toss to coat evenly.
- In a deep 12-inch skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil to 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Carefully place half of the okra in the oil. Gently stir without disturbing coating. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 6 minutes; adjusting heat as needed to keep the oil temperature between 300 and 350 degrees. With a slotted spoon, transfer okra to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Return oil to 375 degrees; repeat with remaining okra. Season with salt, and serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce, if desired.