These fried oysters are perfect on their own served with fries or over a salad. Try this recipe from Marc Matsumoto of NoRecipes. See the full post at the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 18-24 small to medium sized oysters, shucked
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Lemons wedges for serving
- Prepare 3 bowls, one with flour and paprika, one with the egg, and one with panko. Add about 1” of vegetable oil into a pot and pre-heat until the oil shimmers.
- Gently rinse the oysters in salted water, pluck the oysters out of the water with your hands (the grit will settle to the bottom of the water) and drain on a paper towel. Lightly dust each oyster with flour. If your oysters are small, you may want to put two together.
- Dip each flour-coated oyster in the egg mixture, and then coat the oyster with panko. I usually drop the oyster in the panko, sprinkle some on top, and then press it a little with my hand to ensure it gets a nice thick layer of breadcrumbs.
- Place the breaded oysters in the hot oil and fry until they start turning brown around the edges, flip them over and continue frying until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined rack to drain.