Garden Barley Soup
A hearty mix of vegetables and barley, its a perfect comfort food for a cold night. Prepare the vegetables the night before and then throw them in the slow cooker in the morning to come home to a great smelling kitchen and a finished dinner!
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 cups corn
- 1 cups carrots diced
- 1 cups cut green beans
- 3 celery ribs thinly sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 can (14.5 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- In a 5-qt slow cooker, combine first eight ingredients.
- Stir in the water, broth, barley, and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high 10-20 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Tips/TechniquesSubstitutions: use white potatoes, any assorted frozen vegetables on hand; leftover fresh vegetables from farmers market, etc.