Garlic Miso Chicken
Adapt this recipe with any protein you like to make a quick and flavorful Japanese dish.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon unrefined brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake (or water)
- .25 ounces (7 grams, 1 large clove) garlic, minced
- 12 ounces (340 grams) chicken thighs, skin-on, cut into bite-size pieces
- Stir the miso, sugar, sake and half the garlic together in a small bowl until combined.
- Put a frying pan over medium high heat, and place the chicken pieces skin-side down in the pan. You don't need to add oil to the pan if you're using skin-on chicken thighs, but if your chicken is skinless, be sure to add some oil to the pan.
- Fry the chicken until browned on the skin side, and then flip and brown the other side.
- Tip the pan a little to one side, and use a paper towel and tongs to sop up any extra oil that accumulates at the bottom.
- Add the garlic and stir fry until the garlic is fragrant and starting to brown.
- Add the miso garlic sauce and stir fry until there is almost no liquid left and the sauce coats each piece of chicken in a shiny glaze.