Glazed Carrots with Orange and Ginger
Make this flavorful dish by quick glazing carrots in butter or oil with a variety of herbs. You could use dill and lemon juice, brown sugar and walnuts, or maple syrup and pecans. This version combines grated ginger and freshly squeezed orange juice for a bright winter side. (Recipe and Photo Credit: Emily Wiley; Recipe adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything)
- 1 lb carrots, trimmed and peeled, cut into coins or sticks
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients except lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and adjust heat so mixture simmers.
- Cook, more or less undisturbed, until carrots are tender and liquid is almost gone, 10 to 20 minutes. Uncover and boil off remaining liquid, then add lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot, garnished with herbs, if you like.