Golden Onion Casserole
A beautiful dish that will remind your guests of French onion soup.
- 6 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (use 1 tablespoon if using double-strength cubes)
- 1/2 cup sherry (or Burgundy if serving with red meat)
- 3/4 cup (total) mixed Gruyere and Swiss cheeses shredded
- 1 French bread or onion-garlic baguette cut in thin slices
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Saute onions in 1/4 cup butter over medium heat about 15 minutes. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Whisk in flour. Stir 2 minutes, until mixture starts to turn gold. Add salt, pepper, milk and bouillon; stir until thickened.
- Stir in sherry and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Pour over onions and sprinkle with cheese.
- Brush bread slices with melted butter and place over the onion dish, covering completely. (You may omit the bread if serving other bread or starch items alongside.) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until bread is browned.