Gollai Hagon Suni
Gollai hagon suni makes for a great side dish with a bed of rice or protein of your choice. Recipe shared by Shawn Naputi on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
Total time: 45 Minutes
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 2/3 cups Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Turmeric (grated or micro-planed)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 550g Summer Squash / Zucchini
- 450g Spinach
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Sesame Seeds
- In a small pot bring soy sauce and sugar up to a boil then lower to a simmer.
- Reduce liquid by half being careful not to burn by stirring occasionally. (Garnish sauce)
- To create sauce in a medium pan add garlic and onions and lightly sauté.
- When garlic and onion are translucent, grate fresh turmeric into the pan then add coconut milk and the juice of 1 whole lemon.
- Cook sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes and remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut squash into 1/4" pieces and roast in a pan until both sides are nicely seared.
- Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Wilt spinach in squash and sauce mixture.
- When spinach is wilted remove from heat.
- Add a small amount of caramelized soy and sesame seeds on top as garnish.