Goose Feet Cookies (Gusinie Lapki)
Make Martha Stewart's Goose Feet Cookies (Gusinie Lapki) from the Eastern European Cookies episode of Martha Bakes.
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh farmer cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely grated orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together cheese, butter, vanilla seeds, and orange zest with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer dough to a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk, and wrap tightly. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut out rounds. Gather dough scraps, reroll, and cut out more rounds.
- Place granulated sugar in a wide shallow bowl. Working with one round at a time, brush with water, then dip in sugar to coat. Fold round in half, covering sugar; fold in half again. Place seven cookies on each of two parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer sheets to wire racks; let cool completely. Cookies are best eaten the day they are made.