Greek Chicken Milanese
This Greek Chicken Milanese Salad is full of crispy cucumbers, an acid-driven dressing and a good amount of feta cheese. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- Milanese Chicken:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1 lemon, grilled, for serving
- Greek Salad:
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch of romaine lettuce, trimmed and chopped
- 2 ounces cubed feta cheese
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 4 pepperoncini, sliced
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, cubed
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced
- In a medium bowl, add the flour. In a large, deep-set plate, combine the bread crumbs and salt. In another medium bowl, add the eggs, a pinch of salt and beat.
- To prepare the chicken, place the first piece of halved chicken in between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, pound the chicken until it reaches a 1/4-inch thickness. Repeat the pounding process with the second piece of chicken. Dip the chicken in the flour and then transfer to the beaten egg, allowing the excess to run off, and then immediately coat in the panko bread mixture. Transfer the chicken to a plate and repeat with the second half of chicken. Place the plate in the refrigerator to rest for about 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, let's make the salad. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice with the dried oregano, and a few pinches of salt. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil; whisk until combined. Add the lettuce, feta, red onion, pepperoncini, tomato and cucumber. Toss until everything is evenly coated with the dressing. Salt to taste (I added a few more pinches of salt). Set aside.
- To a 3 quart sauté pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the first piece of chicken and cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the chicken feels firm to the touch. Transfer to a bed of paper towels to drain and repeat with the second piece of chicken, being sure to add more olive oil to the pan as needed.
- To assemble the salads, divide the chicken between two plates and top with a big heaping serving of salad.