Green Papaya Salad
This green papaya salad recipe appears courtesy of Razz's Restaurant and Gallery in Scottsdale, AZ. Watch a review of this restaurant from Check, Please! Arizona.
- 4 ounces pork loin (chopped)
- 4 ounces shrimp (clean and chopped)
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium sized carrot (julienne)
- 1 medium sized onion (julienne)
- 1 stock of celery (julienne)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 4 tablespoons palm sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass paste or 3 tablespoons lemongrass syrup
- If syrup is used omit palm sugar/honey
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 4 cups unripe papaya (peeled and cleaned, julienne)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ teaspoons basil (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ teaspoons mint (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ teaspoons parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 medium sized firm tomato (diced)
- ¼ cup green bean vermicelli noodles
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Soften vermicelli noodles in hot water
- In a sauce pan, sauté the chopped pork and chopped shrimp in 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add the chili paste, garlic and julienne vegetables to pan. Stir over medium heat.
- Add tamarind juice, lime juice, lemon grass paste (or syrup), palm sugar and 3 more tablespoons of olive oil.
- Transfer the warm ingredients to a mixing bowl. Add the julienne papaya, cilantro, basil, mint and parsley to bowl. Toss together.
- Add the softened green bean vermicelli noodles.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.