Green Potato Salad
Substitute avocado for mayonnaise to get a creamy texture, less cholesterol and a vivid color in this classic dish.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Put the potatoes in a pot, and add enough water to cover the potatoes by 1-inch. Bring to a boil, and then turn down the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook the potatoes until they're just soft enough to easily pass a toothpick through one.
- To make the sauce, add half of the avocado, the soy milk, the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and black pepper to a small food processor. Puree the mixture.
- Chop the remaining half of avocado into cubes, and add them to a bowl with a little lemon juice to keep them from changing color.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them well and add them to the bowl with the avocados, and then add the sauce and scallions. Stir to combine, and adjust salt to taste. It's okay if the potatoes break up a little bit in the process. Serve warm or at room temperature within a few hours.