Green Tomato Fondue
by Ana Sortun
Served with feta and summer herbs
- 3 green tomatoes split in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup ouzo
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 3 cups goats milk feta
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs like summer savory, basil, thyme, sage, and/or oregano
- 3 pita breads torn into halves
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place the green tomatoes into a casserole dish and season all sides with salt and pepper. Add ouzo, white wine, and olive oil.
- Turn them onto the cut side and roast in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Allow the tomatoes to cool for 10 minutes to give up more juices. Reserve these juices for the feta mixture. Crumble the feta into the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the juices from the roasted tomatoes and a half cup of water.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour the feta into the bottom of a baking dish that just holds all of the tomato halves.
- Bake the tomatoes in the feta for about 10 minutes until it is soft and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with chopped herbs. Serve with grilled shrimp or pita bread.
Tips/TechniquesThis segment appears in show #3305.
Recipe courtesy of Ana Sortun
© 2008 Ana Sortun