Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
Create a smokey side dish with this recipe from Marc Matsumoto of No Recipes. See the full post at the Fresh Tastes Blog.
- 8 ears of corn
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted until golden brown
- 3 tablespoons small capers roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons good vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (halve if using regular salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentón (smoked paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- Husk and clean any dangling hairs off the corn, then brush lightly with olive oil. Heat your barbecue or broiler until very hot, then grill the corn until you have a light char all the way around each ear. Let the corn cool enough to handle, then cut the kernels off each cob into a bowl.
- Put the cherry tomatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil until coated, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Lay the cherry tomatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast in a 250 degree oven for about an hour, or until they are shriveled and sweet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, pimentón, mustard, and Tabasco until the mixture is emulsified (the oil and liquid is combined). Add the shallots and stir to combine.
- Add the roasted cherry tomatoes to the corn, then add the toasted pine nuts, capers, parsley, sage, thyme, and pour the dressing over everything. Toss to combine, taste the salad, then adjust the salt and pepper to taste.