Grilled Corn with Ginger Bacon Butter
As if grilled sweet corn wasn't already delicious! Add this zesty ginger bacon butter from Chef Vivian Howard for an added kick. This recipe appears in the "Sweet Corn & Expensive Tea" episode of A Chef's Life, featuring chef Vivian Howard.
- 1/2 lb salted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup bacon fat
- 1/3 cup grated ginger (use a microplane)
- 3 garlic cloves (grated on the microplane)
- zest of 3 limes (taken off with a microplane)
- juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Fresh corn (in the husk)
- For the Butter: Combine all seven ingredients in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until it is evenly blended. Using a spatula, turn the butter onto wax or parchment paper and mold it into a log. Chill.
- For the Corn: Shuck the corn removing all of the husk and silk. Preheat a grill (charcoal creates better flavor). Brush the corn on all sides with olive oil. Using tongs grill the corn on all sides until golden in some spots. The corn may pop so be careful. Once it looks delicious, transfer the corn to a platter, season it with a little salt and rub it all over with the ginger bacon butter.
Tips/TechniquesOnce corn has been picked, it is extremely important to keep it cool. Don’t waste anytime transferring ears to your refrigerator to avoid starchy, dry kernels. Look for bright green, moist looking husks. If the husks have started to dry or turn brown, it means you are dealing with corn that’s been out of the field for a while. The following pair particularly well with corn: basil, cilantro, thyme, garlic, ginger, leeks, lemon, lime, butter, chilis, bacon, tomatoes, feta cheese fried fish, spice rubbed and grilled pork or beef.