Grilled Mac and Cheese
These easy pan-fried fritters are like two-bite grilled cheese sandwiches, with a crisp buttery crust and gooey mac and cheese in the center. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
- butter or vegetable oil (for frying)
- cooked macaroni and cheese
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1 cup panko
- Line a cooling rack with several layers of paper towels.
- Prepare two shallow bowls, one with a beaten egg, and one with panko.
- Unmold your leftover macaroni and slice it into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Salt and pepper the slices of macaroni and cheese if you like.
- Dip each slice in egg and then in the panko, being careful not to break the pieces up.
- Add the butter (or oil) in a frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Swirl the butter around the pan and when it stops sizzling, add the slices of breaded mac and cheese.
- Fry until golden brown on one side and then flip and fry until golden brown on the other.
- Transfer to the paper towel-lined rack. Serve immediately with condiments of your choice.