- 4 tablespoons marmalade preferably orange
- 6 ounces grated Monterey Jack (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 slices white bread 1/2 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- Place 4 slices of the bread on a work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of the marmalade evenly over each slice and sprinkle with the cheese. Sandwich with the remaining bread. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the butter on each side of each sandwich. Heat a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-low heat. Cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side, pressing gently with a spatula to flatten.