Grilled Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Prosciutto di Parma Sandwich
Two classic products of the region of Emilia Romagna go into this delicious "ham and cheese" panino. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Grilled Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Prosciutto di Parma Sandwich at CiaoItalia.com!
- 4 slices Sicilian Bread
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 thin slices Prosciutto di Parma
- Coarsely ground pepper
- Unsalted butter
- Cover two slices of the bread with a layer of the fluffy grated cheese. Generously grind pepper over the top.
- Place two slices of prosciutto di Parma over the cheese.
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top to make sandwiches.
- Use a panini maker or: In a large frying, add enough butter to provide a generous film (about 2 tablespoons). Heat the butter over medium-low heat until foamy. Add the cheese sandwiches, pressing them onto the pan; slowly fry, regulating the heat so the butter does not burn. Once a light brown, turnthe sandwiches over, and press down with a spatula to compress slightly. Brown the other side.
- When done, transfer the sandwiches to a paper towel to drain. Cut in half diagonally, and serve with your favorite wine.