Grilled Shrimp with Lemongrass Marinade
This grilled shrimp recipe appears in the "Shrimp" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 8 jumbo head-on shrimp
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white and pale yellow parts only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 to 4 dried red chiles, such as bird’s eye
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 lime, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup neutral-tasting oil, such as safflower
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Use a paring knife to cut along back of each shrimp shell, leaving shell on head intact; remove vein. Transfer shrimp to a shallow nonreactive dish. In a small bowl, stir to combine lemongrass, chiles, coriander, garlic, lime, and oil; pour marinade over shrimp. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Heat grill to medium-high. (If using charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches about grates for just 3 to 4 seconds.) Remove shrimp from marinade, wiping off excess, and season with salt and pepper. Skewer shrimp from head to tail and grill until shell is slightly charred and shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.