Grilled Steak and Onion Salad
by Chef s Melinda Blanchard and Robert Blanchard
Grilled steak and onion salad with a soy sauce dressing
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large yellow onions sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 yellow bell peppers seeded and cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- Vegetable oil for basting
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 New York strip steaks (12 ounces each)
- 4 to 5 cups torn pieces of lettuce
- Prepare the grill.
- Make the dressing while the grill is heating: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sherry, hoisin, mustard and olive oil. Set aside.
- Brush the onion slices and yellow peppers with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables slowly over medium heat until soft and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Take them off the grill and separate the onion slices into rings.
- Grill the steak until desired doneness, about 6 minutes on each side for medium. Cut the steak against the grain into 1/4-inch slices.
- Toss the greens with a very light coating of dressing and arrange on a serving platter or individual plates. Spread the onions and peppers on top of the lettuce and arrange the sliced steak attractively on top, allowing the onions and peppers to show through. Drizzle a little more dressing over the salad and serve warm.
Tips/TechniquesThis segment appears in show #2811.
Recipes reprinted from At Blanchard's Table: A Trip to the Beach Cookbook, Harvard Clarkson Potter 2003
© 2003 Melinda Blanchard and Robert Blanchard
Used with permission