Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lebneh
Grilled sweet potatoes with Lebneh makes an elegant side dish. Recipe shared by Brad Cecchi on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
Total time: 1 Hour
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 5 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Gallon Water
- 1 Cup of Salt
- -Option to substitute Lebneh for greek yogurt but consistency wont be as thick
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Coriander Seed
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Horse Radish Powder:
- 1 lb Horseradish root (option to use store bought horseradish powder)
- Herb Powder:
- 1 Bunch Parsley
- 1 Bunch Rosemary
- 1 Bunch Tarragon
- Instructions for Lebneh: Line a strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth and place over a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine all ingredients except olive oil and mix together in a bowl.
- Once mixed, spoon mixture into cheesecloth-lined strainer and fold cloth to cover mixture completely.
- Transfer yogurt (strainer & bowl) into the fridge and let it sit for 12-24 hours, or until preferred thickness.
- Instructions for homemade horseradish powder:
- Grate fresh horseradish root using a box grater or a food processor.
- Arrange horseradish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Set oven to 130 Degrees and bake for one hour. (If oven doesn’t get that low, put on lowest setting and crack the door to maintain low temp. Place thermometer in oven to monitor heat)
- When horseradish is brittle and dry, remove from oven. (most all moisture will be removed)
- Allow horseradish to cool and transfer to a blender or food processor and pulse until it’s ground into a fine powder.
- Instructions for herb powder: If you don’t want to dry your own herbs, use store bought dried Parsley, Rosemary, and Tarragon herbs and combine 4 tablespoons of each herb in blender or food processor to make herb powder.
- Store herb powder in a airtight container for as long as a year.
- Spread bunches of parsley, rosemary and tarragon on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Set oven to 150 degrees and bake herbs for 2-3 hours or until leaves crumble easily.
- Place dried herbs in blender or food processor and blend until its a powder consistency.
- Instructions for Grilled Sweet Potatoes: Boil Sweet Potatoes in water and salt until only the center is firm still.
- Let Sweet Potatoes cool and cut in half.
- Oil the cut side (meat of potato) and grill until all sides have good, visible grill marks.
- How to Assemble: In a shallow bowl or plate, place the Lebneh and top with herbed powders.
- Place grilled potatoes on top of Lebneh and finish with olive oil, finishing salt, and more herb powder if needed.
Tips/TechniquesWhen making this recipe, make sure to make the lebneh first and allow it to thicken in your refrigerator for 12-24 hours or until desired thickness.
Option to use store bought horseradish powder. Check to make sure there are no access additives like salt and vinegar. If making homemade horseradish powder, make sure to dry it in a well ventilated area to avoid irritation from strong, pungent smell. Once powder is made, store in an airtight container in a cool, dark spot.