Grilled Vegetable Salad
Turns out that many dishes on the Jewish table are vegetarian. Recipe by Steve Raichlen.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 to 5 plum tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar or to taste
- 1/2 cup flatleaf parsley coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the grill to high. Grill the eggplant whole, until very soft and charred all over, using tongs to turn it. The skin should be completely black. Grilling will take 20 to 30 minutes. Char the peppers in the same way, about 10 to 15 minutes, then the tomatoes about 5 minutes. Cook the tomatoes just enough to blister the skins, but not so much that they become soft (the center should remain firm). Transfer the charred vegetables to a plate to cool.
- Scrape the charred skin off the eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes with a paring knife. Core and seed the pepper. Dice the vegetables into 1-inch cubes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in the onion, garlic, oil, vinegar, half the parsley, salt and pepper. Just before serving, taste and correct the seasoning. Sprinkly the remaining parsley on top. Serve with grilled pita bread chips.