Recipe by Michael Procopio
This soup can be made meatless by simply omitting one of the ingredients.
- 1/2 lb. lamb. cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup lentils not French lentils
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bunch parsley stems tied together
- 1 bunch cilantro stems
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick three to four inches in length
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 cup canned chickpeas drained
- 1 tablespoon flour
- The juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a large Dutch oven. Add lamb bones and meat to brown nicely.
- Add onion and cook until translucent. Then add spices, tomato paste, lentils, parsley, and cilantro stems. Cover with 8 cups of water, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add the canned chickpeas.
- Make a slurry of flour with 1/2 cup of cold water and add to the soup, stirring well. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- When finished, remove lamb bones and the parsley and cilantro stems. Add as much salt and pepper as you deem necessary. Be generous with the salt, if you don't think it will kill you.
- Ladle into warm bowls. Garnish with a scant fistful of cilantro leaves and wedges of lemon. Have at it with a loaf of very crusty bread and a spoon.
- Repeat as needed.