Hashweh is a classic Levantine dish featuring lamb. The recipe appears courtesy of Sameer Eid, who is featured in the Detroit episode of No Passport Required.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
- ¼ cup pine nuts, preferably Spanish
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground lamb (80% lean-20% medium lean)
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 medium cooking onions, peeled and diced very small
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons seven spice
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 fresh pomegranate cleaned
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the pine nuts until light golden - set aside
- In the same pan add the ghee and allow it to melt. Add the onions and saute until brown and soft.
- Add the ground lamb and stir well with onions. Cook until the meat browns.
- Sprinkle in the cinnamon and seven spice along with the salt, pepper and lemon. Stir well, and keep on low heat for another 4 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve garnished with toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds.
Tips/TechniquesPlease note: PBS has not professionally-tested this recipe.