Healthier Macaroni and Cheese
Tiffany Hilby of Colorado submitted this recipe for our Healthy Eating Contest.
Tiffany Hilby describes her recipe:
I took a traditional family favorite and took out a large portion of fat and calories by removing the butter, substituting whole grain pasta for white pasta, skim milk for whole, and half of the milk for chicken stock. The vitamin content is also boosted by a healthy dose of pumpkin. The amount of cheese was also reduced from a traditional recipe, but without sacrificing flavor because I used sharp instead of medium cheddar.
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 lb of cooked, whole grain, macaroni or other short cut pasta
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin, canned or fresh
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, heat milk, stock and pumpkin just to boiling.
- Add the slurry of cornstarch and water and stir well until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gently stir in cheese until melted.
- Stir sauce into noodles season with salt and pepper and serve with your favorite veggie side dish.