Herbed Barley Salad with Dates
This herbed barley salad with dates recipe appears in the "Cooking with Grains" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 5 pitted dates, chopped
- Bring barley and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Drain if necessary and let cool.
- In a medium skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add oil and shallots to same skillet and heat over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are golden and crispy, about 9 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; reserve oil.
- Combine turmeric, lemon juice, and reserved toasted cumin seeds and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add to barley along with herbs and dates. Stir to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with crispy shallots.