Homemade Barbecue Sauce on Grilled Chicken
Homemade barbecue sauce is easy to make!
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 40 Minutes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste (optional)
- ¼ lemon, juice only, about 2 tsp.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (or use 10-12 drumsticks and thighs)
- Preheat the grill (or broiler, with the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source) to medium-high heat and rub the grates with oil, if necessary.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce (optional). Bring it to a low boil and simmer it for about 5 minutes, until it is thickened. Add the lemon juice and stir until it is heated through. Remove it from the heat. Set aside half the barbecue sauce to serve on the side with the chicken.
- Cook the chicken on the preheated grill with the lid open for about two minutes, skin side down. Flip the chicken, brush it with the barbecue sauce, and cook for about 10 minutes with the lid closed. Flip the chicken again, brush it with more sauce, and cook it for about 10 more minutes, closing the lid. Flip the chicken several more times, brushing with more sauce each time, until it starts to get dark and crispy and is thoroughly coated with sauce. Check to make sure the breasts are cooked through before removing the chicken from the grill. It should take 30 – 40 minutes total. Serve the chicken hot or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, and serve it with the reserved sauce.
- Slow Cooker Directions: Arrange the chicken pieces in the low cooker for best fit. Combine the sauce ingredients, and pour half of the mixture over the chicken, gently lifting and replacing pieces to be sure the sauce is covering all. (Save the other half of the sauce for serving and simmer it as directed above). Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked through.