Try this recipe for homemade tortillas! Recipe by Gabriela Lopez, but Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife.com shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
- 4 cups all purpose flour or 2 cups white flour + 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup warm water
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in the lard or shortening until evenly dispersed, the dough should feel more coarse and mealy. Add 1 cup warm water and knead, if dough is too dry add more water a tablespoon at a time until the dough is soft and pliable but not too sticky. Knead for 3 minutes. Form into a large ball and let rest for 1/2 hour in a floured bowl covered with a damp cloth.
- Form into round balls, about the size of a ping-pong ball. On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin roll dough into discs about 1/8 inches thick. Cook on a preheated, very hot, griddle for about 30 seconds per side until golden brown speckles appear, flipping only once.
- Keep the tortillas warm by placing in a clean, dry towel. Store cooked tortillas in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for one day or in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat on the griddle before serving.